At Cherry Orchard Primary School our intention is to provide quality teaching and learning of History. We aim:
- To promote an interest and curiosity about the past
- To develop an understanding of events over time and in a chronological order
- To learn about the roles that individuals and events have played in shaping modern society
- To develop an ability to investigate and interpret different versions of past events
- To learn to study historical evidence and to ask and answer critical questions about the past
- To develop the ability to communicate historical knowledge and understanding using a variety of techniques
- To encourage children to understand other people, their beliefs, thoughts, values and experiences
- To develop an awareness of the world around them
- To develop an understanding of society and their place within it, so that they acquire a sense of their cultural heritage
- To develop a knowledge and understanding of historical development in the wider world.
- To understand the complexity of people’s lives, the diversity of societies and the relationships between different groups
- To ensure the history curriculum enhances children’s knowledge and understanding of Unicef’s rights of the child.
- To help children to see that change is possible and gives them an insight into the process of change.